What is a Sump Pump?
Sump Pumps are pumps that are used to clear out water that collects in a sump basin, this prevents dampness from building up and flooding from happening.
They are commonly used in basement suites, and houses where the water table is above the foundation of the house.
More than 60% of North American households have some form of moisture in their basement according to the ASHI – therefore it is imperative that yours is kept well maintained.
A Sump Pump is one of those ‘insurance policy’ appliances. It is only useful for you when you need it. For example, during a heavy storm, or just after the winter melt.
It would be no good to have a sump pump only to find out it isn’t working exactly when it is needed!
Therefore, some routine maintenance to ensure that your sump pump works correctly is critical.
Here at Butler Plumbing, we recommend you do the following to ensure that your sump pump kicks in exactly when it is needed.
Maintenance Every 3-4 Months
- Clean the pump inlet screen – the pump inlet screen filters out any nasty objects entering the pump, cleaning it out every 3 months will ensure that it never gets blocked.
- Check the pump power cord and make sure it is plugged in – the last thing you want is for your sump pump not to work for something as simple as not being plugged in.
- Make sure your pump is upright – if not standing correctly the float arm within the sump can become jammed.
- Pour a bucket of water into the sump – fill it all the way to the top so that it triggers the pump to turn on.
If your pump doesn’t turn on when you pour enough water into the sump, contact us and we will be happy to help you.
Maintenance Once A Year
- Remove pump from the pit (submersible pump only) – Clean out the pit and remove any rocks or debris as these can cause blockages.
- Ensure pipes into and out of the pump are fastened – loose pipes can cause leakages, and set all pipes to drain at least 20 feet away from your foundation.
Follow these tips and the next time your sump pump is needed it will kick in with no problems and save your home from flooding.
If you have a broken sump pump that needs fixing or would like to install a new sump pump get in contact with us and we will be able to help you!