Where Do I Start?
Renovating your home can be a very rewarding project. There is nothing more fun than seeing all the hard work you put into deciding what color schemes and appliances you want and where you want them each situated. Performing a home plumbing renovation in particular is an investment in both time and money so you want to have a good idea of what you are getting into before you jump in feet first!
We know that every home is vastly different, and each renovation will face its own set of unique challenges, however, there are many things that you can do to both prepare for your plumbing renovation and some warning signs to look out for that are common across the board.
Keep reading, because these next 10 tips will prepare you for your next plumbing renovation!
Evaluate and determine the layout
Take a good look at your floor plan and consider whether your ideas make the most optimal use of the space provided. You should have a very clear understanding of the desired layout and design features prior to beginning the project.
Apply for the appropriate permits
Do the appropriate research to find what permits that you are required to fill out and be sure to file the paperwork with your local jurisdiction before beginning your home plumbing renovation.
Notify your neighbors ahead of time
As a form of politeness, you should inform those living around you of your home plumbing renovation plan, especially if you know that the process will be very noisy and could likely irritate those around you. The optimal times for construction is a start time of about 9:00 am with work concluding each day around 5:00 PM.
Decide on a budget, but with room for contingency
Prior to beginning your renovation work, have a clear understanding of how much you are willing to spend, in addition to where exactly you want those funds to be allocated. Don’t leave costs open-ended until mid-way through the process or for afterwards. It is important that you clearly understand what the costs are and where exactly your money will be going. If you don’t invest the time in creating a budget, you are likely to overspend because you don’t know what your restrictions are.
Be aware of the measurements
Pay close attention to the exact measurements of all the furniture and appliances you are purchasing. After all, you will need to merge the new with the old when your renovation project has officially been completed. Store these measurements on a phone or a laptop for easy access.
Don’t sacrifice quality for cost
Cheap materials or labor may seem like a good choice, but over time you will likely regret it. Having to pay more for repairs because of low quality material or low quality labor can turn your home renovation into a disaster.
Expect the unexpected
For you to remain as calm as possible, you must always have a Plan B. Renovations rarely ever go smoothly, but if you prepare for layout issues or budget problems, you can minimize stress. Often, the decisions you make prior to the start of the renovation process will shape the overall process. So, don’t be surprised if you run into a problem that you likely encountered in the pre-renovation process but didn’t bother to pay attention to.
Choose a contractor with a great reputation
Do the research. Don’t look through newspaper ads or on Craigslist for the cheapest or highest quality contractors. It is your responsibility to do the appropriate research, from sifting through customer reviews to looking for specific certifications. Each contractor will have strengths or weakness compared to others in their field. What is important is that you as a customer are aware of that and believe that your vision could be fulfilled by them.
Have your mind set on what you want to accomplish with this renovation project. Be aware of what your goals for this project are and ensure that they are met. Don’t go into a project expecting to feel a certain way without fully realizing what you wanted to begin with.
Be aware of your restrictions
Prior to beginning your renovation, know what is achievable and what is not. It is important that you don’t start something without have the money nor the clearance to do so. If you live in an apartment building, you may have building restrictions. If you live in a townhouse, you may also be forced to abide by lot guidelines or strata regulations.
Home Plumbing Spring Renovation Checklist
Deciding to undergo a spring renovation can be overwhelming, no matter how many times you’ve done it before. However, a little planning never hurt anybody. In fact, planning beforehand is a must if you want to renovate your home.
Whether its your first renovation or your 10th, knowing exactly what to prepare and drafting a plan can be overwhelming.
That’s why we have made it simple for you with a quick checklist that will make your renovation life as undisruptive as possible.
- WISH AWAY! Start by gathering ideas for the bathroom of your dreams. Look for inspiration boards and images that show clear designs, styles, & colours to turn your ideas into reality.
- Then, narrow your ideas down: When it comes to renovating, options are endless! Pick your absolute favorite features and remember to consider what will work best for the space you have!
- TAKE BEFORE PICTURES: This is the coolest part, you will see!
- Priorities, Budget, and Timeline: Decide on how much you are willing to spend and plan accordingly. If you have too many ideas in mind, setting dates and priorities is a great way to start. Setting dates also allows you to plan for the estimated time your home will undergo renovations.
- Plumbing: Plan to replace old pipes, tubs, sinks, toilets. Inspect for water damage such as leaks, flooring deterioration, cracks on tiles. Find out how much plumbing work you will require. Will it extend to your basement or will you keep it to the bathroom & kitchen area? Thankfully, you can leave this step to the experts in plumbing renovations, Butler Plumbing. Get a Quote today here .
- FINE PRINT: make sure to thoroughly read the contract and ensure you are signing up for the plumbing renovation of your dreams.
- Packing: Pack all the things you do not use often because there is no point in having them out and in the way. Keep all the items you consider essential and of everyday use outside. Use boxes to organize big items, which you can then store.
- Living at Home During Reno: Arrange your household for when work begins. Plan ahead. For example, make storage space if you will need to remove items from a room into another one. Equip a room with all the things you think you might need for days when reno is loud or you just want to escape the madness. For instance, a room with a tv and a DVD player, or a room where you can sit and read to then sleep the noise away.
- After reno: Go through every space in your home and check everything is in place as planned. Make a list of things that are missing or if there is anything that still needs fixing.
- Finally Relax & Enjoy: Enjoy your newly renovated home <3
- TAKE AFTER PICTURES – COMPARE – Show them to all your friends on social media and don’t forget to tag @butlerplumbing because we love sharing your renovation happiness!
It is important for prospective renovators to foresee the issues that can occur during their home plumbing renovation. Nothing should be gambled during a renovation project. The appropriate measures should always be taken so that homeowners get the best bang for their buck. If you are dreaming of these changes, dream no more! Give us a call today +1.780.432.3947 and we can answer all your doubts that are keeping you from turning your old bathroom into a new spa-like restroom.
Additionally, If you need help during the renovation process, want to talk shop with experienced plumbing and renovation contractors, or want us to take care of the hard part for you, do not hesitate to contact us! We’re always here to help, Click here to let us know what we can help you with:
Remember we have over 30 years of experience in commercial and residential plumbing, heating service, and Renovations, we are the ones’ you want to call!